Now we shall learn about how you can divide a given digit by the other through the method of long division. Here we shall take the simple example of the number 5 divided by 3 to find the results and understand the steps in which it is done. Let us have a look at the process below.
Basic concepts of long division
1) What is a dividend: A dividend is defined as the number which is the greater digit and gets divided by the divisor. It sits on the right of the divisor during the process of long division.
2) What is a divisor: A divisor is defined as the digit which is used to divide a given dividend and sits on the left of the divisor.
3) In this case, the dividend is the digit 5, and 3 is the divisor.
4) A quotient is an answer to the question of long division and the remainder is the value that is left after the entire calculation of division is done and the number that is left behind can no longer be divided by 3.
What is 5 divided by 3? The Quotient is 1 and the remainder is 2
Calculation of 5 divided by 3 using long division
Here you need to check whether three goes in 5 or whether 5 is divisible by three in other words and how many times. For this, we need to use the multiplicative table where 3×1=3 and 3×2=6
Hence three will go only one time in the number five.
Now you need to subtract three from five and see that number two is no longer divisible by three hence that is the final remainder.
Hence we see that the final result is 1 (Quotient) and the remainder is 2.
Quotient = 1
Remainder = 2
Also read: What is 75 divided by 5 using Long Division?
Other methods to calculate using long division
Here are some other techniques of yielding the result to the division of 5 by 3 and let us check them out now that you have learned the method of long division.
1) You may use a calculator to divide 5 by 3 where you need to enter the mathematical expression as 5÷3 and the answer that will be provided is 1.6667.
2) You can also express the answer to the division of 5 by 3 in the firm of the mixed fraction.
3) Hence 1 the quotient will be the whole number and 2 will be the smaller numerator and 3 the denominator and so it will look something like this 1 ⅔.
4) The denominator remains the same as the given divisor and 1 is the quotient while 2 is the remainder that we find out.
Also read: How to find factors of 36?