Want to calculate 75 divided by 5 using long division method?
The process of long division is always useful to us when we do not have a calculator or need to solve sums in different cases. Hence we are going to learn the method of long division with a simple example of 75 divided by 5 through the process of long division.
What is 75 divided by 5? The Quotient is 15 and the remainder is 0
Basic concepts of long division
1) The number 75 is the dividend in this case as it is the number which we are about to divide in this case.
2) Similarly, since 5 is the number that is used to divide the greater number 75, it is called the divisor.
3) A divisor always sits on the left of the dividend during the process of long division.
4) A quotient is a value that you will find after dividing the dividend and the remainder is the value that is left behind at the end of all the division steps.
Also read: What is 30/12 as a Mixed Fraction?
Calculations to find 75 divided by 5 using long division
First, you need to check whether 5 goes in 7 and how many times with the help of the multiplicative table of 5. Hence we check that 5×1=5, 5×2=10, and so on. Since five can go only one time in the first digit that is 7 we write 1 in the quotient.
Now you need to subtract 5 from 7 and see that the result comes as 2.
Now you need to bring down 5 so that we now have 25 as the new dividend to be divided in the next step.
In the next step now you need to check how many times 5 will go in 25. With the help of the multiplicative table, it is seen that 5×5=25.
Hence we see that the final result is 15 and the remainder is 0.
Quotient = 15
Remainder = 0
Other methods to calculate using long division
1) You may also use a calculator where you need to type 75÷5 and the results will be shown as 15.
2) The answer can also be expressed in the form of the mixed fraction where 15 is the whole number and 0 is the numerator and 5 is the denominator such that the arrangement will look like 15 0/5.
3) As we know that the whole fraction now becomes 0 since the numerator is 0, we are only left with the whole number 15.
Also read: How to convert 13/16 to decimal?