Kids are usually challenged with brain teasers and complicated questions. They strive hard to solve them. Sometimes, it is better to give them a silly riddle that they can solve and have a laugh about. Below is a list of riddles perfect for kids.
Some have wordplay and some will get them laughing hysterically. Have some fun with the silly ones and challenge yourself with the hard ones. Have fun!
Silly Riddles For Kids
These riddles are perfect for kids who want to have a little fun and a hearty laugh.
1) Question – What is next in this sequence? JFMAMJJASON…
Answer – The letter ‘D’. The sequence contains the first letter of each month.
2) Question – What has a face and two hands but no arms or legs?
Answer – A clock
3) Question – They come out at night without being called, and are lost in the day without being stolen. What are they?
Answer – Stars
4) Question – What five-letter word becomes shorter when you add two letters to it?
Answer – Short
5) Question – You draw a line. Without touching it, how do you make the line longer?
Answer – You draw a shorter line next to it, and then it becomes the longer line.
6) Question – What word begins and ends with an ‘E’ but only has one letter?
Answer – Envelope
7) Question – If an electric train is travelling south, which way is the smoke going?
Answer – There is no smoke since it is an electric train.
8) Question – What has a neck but no head?
Answer – A bottle
9) Question – What kind of tree can you carry in your hand?
Answer – A palm
10) Question – What type of cheese is made backwards?
Answer – Edam
11) Question – What is so delicate that saying its name breaks it?
Answer – Silence
12) Question – What gets wetter as it dries?
Answer – A towel
13) Question – What occurs once in a minute, twice in a moment, and never in one thousand years?
Answer – The letter ‘M’
14) Question – Why did the boy bury his flashlight?
Answer – Because the batteries died
15) Question – Mary’s father has five daughters – Nana, Nene, Nini, and Nono. What is the fifth daughter’s name?
Answer – Mary
16) Question – Which letter of the alphabet has the most water?
Answer – ‘C’
17) Question – Bobby throws a ball as hard as he can. It comes back to him, even though nothing and nobody touches it. How?
Answer – He throws it straight up
18) Question – What starts with a ‘P’, ends with an ‘E’, and has thousands of letters?
Answer – Post Office
19) Question – When is a door not a door?
Answer – When it is a jar (ajar)
20) Question – What has to be broken before you can use it?
Answer – An egg
21) Question – What ship has two mates, but no captain?
Answer – A relationship
22) Question – Why would a man living in New York not be buried in Chicago?
Answer – Because he is still living
23) Question – What is the difference between a jeweler and a jailer?
Answer – A jeweler sells watches. A jailer watches cells.
24) Question – What begins with ‘T’, ends with ‘T’, and has ‘T’ in it?
Answer – A teapot
25) Question – Where does Friday come before Thursday?
Answer – In the dictionary
26) Question – How many letters are there in the English alphabet?
Answer – Eleven t-h-e-a-l-p-h-a-b-e-t
27) Question – If everyone bought a white car, what would we have?
Answer – A white car nation (carnation)
28) Question – Which month has 28 days?
Answer – All of them
29) Question – Three men were in a boat. It capsized, but only two got their hair wet. Why?
Answer – One was bald
Easy Riddles For Kids
These riddles are easier but are sure to tickle the children’s funny bone.
1) Question – What can make an octopus laugh?
Answer – Ten tickles (tentacles)
2) Question – How can a pants pocket be empty and still have something in it?
Answer – It can have a hole in it
3) Question – Why do lions eat raw meat?
Answer – Because they never learned to cook
4) Question – Why is an island like the letter T?
Answer – Because it is in the middle of water
5) Question – What do lazy dogs do for fun?
Answer – Chase parked cars
6) Question – A monkey, a squirrel, and a bird are racing to the top of a coconut tree. Who will get the banana first, the monkey, the squirrel, or the bird?
Answer – None of them, because you cannot get a banana from a coconut tree.
7) Question – Where do cows go for their holidays?
Answer – Moo York
8) Question – How do you make the number one disappear?
Answer – Add the letter ‘G’ and it’s gone
9) Question – What goes up but never down?
Answer – Your age
10) Question – What has four legs, but can’t walk?
Answer – A table
11) Question – Why did Mickey Mouse become an astronaut?
Answer – He wanted to visit Pluto
12) Question – What invention lets you look right through the wall?
Answer – A window
13) Question – Why do bees hum?
Answer – Because they do not know the words
14) Question – What gets wetter and wetter the more it dries?
Answer – A towel
15) Question – What is the last thing you take off before bed?
Answer – Your feet off the floor
16) Question – If you threw a Whitestone into the Red Sea, what would it become?
Answer – Wet
Hard Riddles That Will Tickle your funny bone
Who said a challenge cannot be fun and result in giggles? Use the riddles on your kids to see them wrack their brains but have fun at the same time.
1) Question – Name three days consecutively where none of the seven days of the week appear.
Answer – Yesterday, today, and tomorrow
2) Question – Who is the fastest runner in the whole world?
Answer – Adam. He was the first in the human race.
3) Question – Why did the woman wear a helmet at the dinner table?
Answer – Because of her crash diet
4) Question – How many seconds are there in a year?
Answer – 12 – January 2nd; February 2nd; etc
5) Question – What do you call a fairy that has not taken a bath?
Answer – Stinker Bell
6) Question – What kind of room has no doors or windows?
Answer – A mushroom
7) Question – Which word in the dictionary is spelled incorrectly ?
Answer – Incorrectly
8) Question – A lawyer, a plumber, and a hat maker were walking down the street. Who had the biggest hat?
Answer – The one with the biggest head
9) Question – What Question can you never answer yes to?
Answer – Are you asleep yet?
10) Question – Why are teddy bears never hungry?
Answer – Because they are always stuffed
11) Question – What is the centre of gravity?
Answer – The letter ‘V’
12) Question – What did the chewing gum say to the shoe?
Answer – I am stuck on you
13) Question – If two is company and three is a crowd, what are four and five?
Answer – Nine
14) Question – Why was the belt arrested?
Answer – For holding up the pants
15) Question – Jack rode into town on Friday and rode out two days later on Friday. How can that be possible?
Answer – Friday is his horse’s name
16) Question – What is the best cure for dandruff?
Answer – Baldness
17) Question – What is always in front of you but can’t be seen?
Answer – The future
18) Question – What is something you will never see again?
Answer – Yesterday
19) Question – What do you call a man who does not have all his fingers on one hand?
Answer – Normal. You have finger on both hands!
20) Question – What goes through towns and over hills but never moves?
Answer – A road
21) Question – What does an invisible man drink at snack time?
Answer – Evaporated milk
22) Question – Blue lives in the blue house, Mr. Pink lives in the pink house, and Mr. Brown lives in the brown house. Who lives in the white house?
Answer – The President
23) Question – What did the beach say when the tide came in?
Answer – Long time, no sea
24) Question – Which weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks?
Answer – Both weigh the same – one pound!
25) Question – What did one potato chip say to the other?
Answer – Shall we go for a dip?
26) Question – Why did the bumble bee put honey under his pillow?
Answer – He wanted to have sweet dreams
27) Question – Why couldn’t the sailors play cards?
Answer – The captain was standing on the deck
28) Question – What kind of cup can’t hold water ?
Answer – A cupcake
29) Question – What is the best thing to do if a bull charges at you?
Answer – Pay the bull
30) Question – What are two things that you can’t have for breakfast?
Answer – Lunch and dinner
31) Question – What can’t you play basketball with pigs?
Answer – Because they hog the ball
32) Question – What has many rings, but no fingers?
Answer – A telephone
33) Question – Which football players wears the biggest helmet?
Answer – The one with the biggest head
34) Question – Why isn’t your nose twelve inches long?
Answer – Because then it would be a foot
35) Question – What did the outlaw get when he stole a calendar?
Answer – Twelve months
36) Question – What bank never has any money?
Answer – The riverbank
37) Question – In which month do monkeys play baseball?
Answer – Ape-ril
38) Question – A man dies of old age on 25th birthday. How is this possible?
Answer – He was born on February 29th.
39) Question – When is a car, not a car?
Answer – When it turns into a parking lot
40) Question – How do rabbits travel?
Answer – By hare plane
41) Question – Why is the Mississippi such an unusual river?
Answer – Because it has four eyes and it cannot even see!
42) Question – Have you heard about the restaurant on the moon?
Answer – Great food, but no atmosphere
43) Question – Suproliglicatiouspenuvaliancia – how do you spell it?
Answer – I T (it)
44) Question – Why didn’t the hot dog star in the movies?
Answer – The roll was not good enough
45) Question – What is black, white, and pink all over?
Answer – An embarrassed zebra
46) Question – What do you call a funny book about eggs?
Answer – Yolk book
47) Question – What is the longest word in the dictionary?
Answer – Smiles – there is a mile between the two ‘s’
Use these riddles to work the brain of the kids. The answers are simple but arriving at the answer requires out-of-the-box thinking. The following list is sure to be a challenge for kids.
1) Question – A man leaves home and turns left three times, only to return home facing two men wearing masks. Who are these two men?
Answer – A catcher and an umpire
2) Question – What has a head but never weeps, has a bed but never sleeps, can run but never walks, and has a bank but no money?
Answer – A river
3) Question – A man was driving his truck. His lights were not on. The moon was not out. Up ahead, a woman was crossing the street. How did he see her?
Answer – It was a bright and sunny day
4) Question – What can’t talk but will reply when spoken to?
Answer – An echo
5) Question – In a one-story pink house, there was a pink person, a pink cat, a pink fish, a pink computer, a pink chair, a pink table, a pink telephone, a pink shower – everything was pink! What colour were the stairs?
Answer – There were not any stairs; it was a one-story house.
6) Question – What is as light as a feather, but even the world’s strongest man couldn’t hold it for more than a minute?
Answer – His breath
7) Question – A house has four walls. All of the walls are facing south, and a bear is circling the house. What colour is the bear?
Answer – The house is on the North Pole, so the bear is white.
8) Question – If a blue house is made out of blue bricks, a yellow house is made out of yellow bricks, and a pink house is made out of pink bricks, what is a green house made of?
Answer – Glass
9) Question – The more of this there is, the less you see.
Answer – Darkness
10) Question – What has four legs in the morning, two legs in the afternoon, and three legs at night?
Answer – A person! As a baby you crawl on four legs, as an adult you walk on two legs, then when you are older you use a cane which becomes your third leg.
11) Question – Tuesday, Sam and Peter went to a restaurant to eat lunch. After eating lunch, they paid the bill. But Sam and Peter did not pay the bill, so who did?
Answer – Their friend, Tuesday
12) Question – Two fathers and two sons go on a fishing trip. They each catch a fish and bring it home. Why do they only bring three home?
Answer – The fishing trip consists of a grandfather, a father, and a son.
13) Question – I have keys but no locks. I have space but no room. You can enter but can’t go outside. What am I?
Answer – A keyboard
14) Question – A man was cleaning the windows of a twenty five story building. He slipped and fell off the ladder, but wasn’t hurt. How did he do it?
Answer – He fell off the second step
15) Question – What instrument can you hear but never see?
Answer – Your voice! You can sing with you voice like an instrument and hear it, but no one can see it.
16) Question – One night, a butcher, a baker, and a candlestick maker go to a hotel. When they get their bill, however, it’s for four people. Who’s the fourth person?
Answer – One night can also mean one knight. That makes four – one knight, one butcher, a baker, and a candlestick maker!
17) Question – The Smith family is a very wealthy family that lives in a big, circular home. One morning, Mr. Smith woke up and saw a strawberry jam stain on his new carpet. He figured out that everyone who was there that morning had a jam sandwich. By reading the following excuses, figure out who spilled the jam. Billy Smith – “I was outside playing basketball.” The Maid – “I was dusting the corners of the house.” Chef – “I was starting to make lunch for later.” Who is lying?
Answer – It was the maid because the house is circular
18) Question – A dad and his son were riding their bikes and crashed. Two ambulances came and took them to different hospitals. The man’s son was in the operating room and the doctor said, “I can’t operate on you. You’re my son.” How is that possible?
Answer – The doctor is his mother
19) Question – The first man is the master of priceless gems; The second man is the master of love; The third man is the master of shovels; The fourth man is the master of big sticks; Who are they?
Answer – The kings in the deck of cards
20) Question – As I went across the bridge, I met a man with a load of wood which was neither straight nor crooked. What kind of wood was it?
Answer – Sawdust
21) Question – Why is the sun so bright?
Answer – Because it pays attention in the class and does its homework on time
22) Question – What kinds of stones are never found in the ocean?
Answer – Stones that are dry
23) Question – What is put on a table and cut, but is never eaten?
Answer – A pack of cards
24) Question – What is full of holes, but can still hold a lot of water?
Answer – A sponge
25) Question – What is it that has a bottom at the top of them?
Answer – Your legs
26) Question – Five men went to church. It started to rain. Four men ran for cover but got wet on the way. The one man who stayed behind stayed dry. Why?
Answer – The dry man was a body in a coffin and the other four were pallbearers
27) Question – What goes up the chimney when down, but cannot go down the chimney when up?
Answer – An umbrella
28) Question – I am taken from a mine and shut up in a wooden case, from which I am never released, and yet I am used by almost everybody. What am I?
Answer – Pencil lead
29) Question – What belongs to you but others use it more than you do?
Answer – Your name
30) Question – A cloud is my mother, the wind is my father, my son is the cool stream, and my daughter is the fruit of the land. A rainbow is my bed, the earth is my final resting place, and I am the torment of man.
Answer – Rain
Riddles About Animals
1) Question – What does a cat have that no other animal has?
Answer – Kittens
2) Question – I can sizzle like back, I am made with an egg, and I have plenty of backbone, but lack a good leg. I peel layers like onion, but still remain whole; I can be long, like a flagpole, yet fit in a hole. What am I?
Answer – A snake
3) Question – What has two heads, four eyes, six legs, and a tail?
Answer – A cowboy riding his horse
4) Question – A horse is on a twenty four foot chain and wants an apple that is twenty six feet away. How can the horse get to the apple?
Answer – The chain is not attached to anything
5) Question – What always sleeps with its shoes on?
Answer – A horse
6) Question – A frog jumped into a pot of cream and started treading. He soon felt something solid under his feet and was able to hop out of the pot. What did the frog feel under his feet?
Answer – The frog felt butter under his feet, because he churned the cream and made butter.
7) Question – What is as big as an elephant, but weighs nothing at all?
Answer – The shadow of an elephant
8) Question – I’m tall when I’m young. I’m short when I’m old. What am I?
Answer – A candle
9) Question – What two keys can’t open any doors?
Answer – A donkey and a monkey
10) Question – What fur do we get from a tiger?
Answer – As fur away as possible!
11) Question – What is the greatest worldwide use of cowhide?
Answer – To cover cows
12) Question – Why do dragons sleep all day?
Answer – They like to hunt knights
13) Question – What has a horn but does not honk?
Answer – A rhinoceros
14) Question – What can honk without a horn?
Answer – A goose
What is it?
The following riddles follow the ‘What is it?’ format. They are fun and some may be challenging.
1) Question – It is easy to get into, but hard to get out of. What is it?
Answer – Trouble
2) Question – It is higher without the head, than with it. What is it?
Answer – A pillow
3) Question – It has a neck but no head, and wears a cap. What is it?
Answer – A bottle
4) Question – The more it dries, the wetter it becomes. What is it?
Answer – Water
5) Question – It has a bark, but no bite. What is it?
Answer – A tree
6) Question – Throw away the outside and cook the inside, then eat the outside and throw away the inside. What is it?
Answer – Corn on the cob – you throw away the husk, cook and eat the kernels, and throw away the cob.
7) Question – This can clap without any hands. What is it?
Answer – Thunder
8) Question – It stands on one leg with its heart in its head. What is it?
Answer – A cabbage
9) Question – It wears a jacket, but no pants. What is it?
Answer – A book
10) Question – You can keep it only after giving it away to someone else. What is it?
Answer – Your word
11) Question – This goes up and down, but never moves. What is it?
Answer – A flight of stairs
12) Question – It has been around for millions of years, but it is no more than a month old. What is it?
Answer – The moon
13) Question – It flies around all day but never goes anywhere. What is it?
Answer – A flag
14) Question – It lives without a body, hears without ears, speaks without a mouth, and is born in air. What is it?
Answer – An echo
15) Question – The kind of coat can you put on only when it is wet. What is it?
Answer – A coat of paint
16) Question – The more you take away, the larger it becomes. What is it?
Answer – A hole
17) Question – This bet can never be won. What is it?
Answer – The alphabet
18) Question – We see it once in a year, twice in a week, and never in a day. What is it?
Answer – The letter ‘E’
19) Question – This type of dress can never be worn. What is it?
Answer – An address
20) Question – It has branches, but no fruit, trunk, or leaves. What is it?
Answer – A bank
21) Question – If I have it, I do not share it. If I share it, I don’t have it. What is it?
Answer – A secret
22) Question – It has eyes that cannot see, a tongue that cannot taste, and a soul that cannot die. What is it?
Answer – A shoe
23) Question – Poor people have it. Rich people need it. If you eat it, you will die. What is it?
Answer – Nothing
24) Question – You can you serve it, but never eat it. What is it?
Answer – A tennis ball
25) Question – You can hear it, but not touch or see it. What is it?
Answer – Your voice
26) Question – It has a hundred limbs, but cannot walk. What is it?
Answer – A tree
27) Question – It loses its head in the morning but gets it back at night. What is it?
Answer – A pillow
28) Question – It comes down but never goes up. What is it?
Answer – Rain
29) Question – It is round on both sides but high in the middle. What is it?
Answer – Ohio
30) Question – It gets beaten, and whipped, but never cries. What is it?
Answer – An egg
31) Question – It gets broken without being held. What is it?
Answer – A promise
32) Question – This travels around the world but stays in one spot. What is it?
Answer – A stamp
33) Question – It is always coming but never arrives. What is it?
Answer – Tomorrow
34) Question – You can catch it but not throw it. What is it?
Answer – A cold
35) Question – It shaves every day but its beard stays the same. What is it?
Answer – A barber
36) Question – It has eighty-eight keys but can’t open a single door. What is it?
Answer – A piano
37) Question – It has hands but cannot clap. What is it?
Answer – A clock
38) Question – It has a neck but no head. What is it?
Answer – A bottle
39) Question – It has four eyes but cannot see. What is it?
Answer – Mississippi
40) Question – It has one eye but cannot see. What is it?
Answer – A needle
1) Question – A girl has many brother and sisters. Each brother has only half as many brothers and sisters. How many brothers and sisters are there in the family?
Answer – Four sisters and three brothers
2) Question – If there are three apples and you take away two, how many apples do you have?
Answer – You have two apples
3) Question – A man describes his daughter saying, “They are all blonde, but two; all brunette, but two; and all redheaded but two.” How many daughters does he have?
Answer – Three – a blonde, a brunette, and a redhead.
4) Question – A little girl goes to the store and buys one dozen eggs. As she is going home, all but three break. How many eggs are left unbroken?
Answer – Three
5) Question – The day before yesterday I was 21, and next year I will be 24. When is my birthday?
Answer – December 31st
6) Question – Two fathers and two sons are in a car, yet there are only three people in the car. How?
Answer – They are grandfather, father, and son.
7) Question – Which is heavier – a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?
Answer – Neither – both weigh one ton
8) Question – Mary has four daughters, and each of her daughters has a brother. How many children does Mary have?
Answer – Five – each daughter has the same brother
9) Question – What three numbers, none of which is zero, give the same result when they’re added or multiplied?
Answer – One, two, three
10) Question – I am an odd number. Take away a letter and I become even.
Answer – Seven
These fun riddles are a mixed bag. Some are easy and some challenging. Use them with your friends and family to have a fun time. These riddles are sure to keep your children entertained and occupied. Challenge them to solve these riddles!