Is 5/8 bigger than 3/4? Let’s solve this mystery!
When we are presented with two different values of fractions, you need to compare two fractions or more to find out which one is greater or smaller. Here we are presented with a problem where we will be learning and comparing two fractions 3/4 and 5/8 to understand which is greater.
1) A fraction is made of two parts. The numerator is the number of the digit that is present above the line of division and the denominator is the digit that is present below the line of division. Here, in this case, 4 and 8 are the two given denominators respectively and 3 and 5 is the numerator.
2) Now there are two methods by which we shall learn the difference between which fraction is the greater one and which is the smaller. The same denominator method and the decimal method.
3) Here we shall teach you all of them and the required steps that are associated with the fractions.
Is 5/8 bigger than 3/4? No, 3/4 is greater than 5/8
Calculation to find if 5/8 is bigger than 3/4
1) Let us determine which fraction is greater with the same denominator method.
2) Now you need to equate both the denominators such that you may compare the numerator. It is to be noted that if denominators are the same, the numerators are treated as whole numbers.
3) So when we have to convert the two denominators into equal values we need to find the lowest common denominator or the value that can divide both 4 and 8.
Hence the lowest common term that can be divided by both the denominators is 8. 4 goes twice in the number 8 and the given denominator eight goes one time in 8.
(3×2)/(4×2) = 6/8
( 5×1)/(8×1) = 5/8
4) Now we can see that the number 6 is greater than 5 hence the first fraction 3/4 is greater than 5/8
Now since both denominators are the same you can simply compare the two numerators as whole numbers and find out which fraction is greater.
which means that
1) Now we shall learn to compare two given fractions and find out which is greater by the decimal method.
2) To do so you have to divide the numerator by denominator in the case for 3/4 and 5/8
3) Here 3 and 5 become the dividends and 4 and 8 become divisors respectively.
Now clearly the decimal value 0.75 is greater than 0.625 hence the first fraction 3/4 is greater than 5/8
Thus we could find the value of the given fraction and compare which is greater than the above.