Let us use the metric system to find out how many millimeters in an inch. Check out the basic steps that are used for the conversion of millimeters to inches.
A Metric system is used for measuring different values and quantities and for that we need different units of measurement. Here we have used two units which are millimeters and inches.
How Many Millimeters in an Inch?
1 inch = 25.4 millimeters
Basic concepts to convert 1 Inch to Millimeters
1) When you are converting from one unit to another one needs to know the relationship that exists between the two.
2) Secondly, also you need an idea about which unit is greater and which is the smaller one. In this case. The millimeter is smaller and the inches are greater.
3) The relationship between inches and millimeters is as follows
25.4 millimeters = 1 inch
4) Now if you are converting from a smaller unit to a greater then you have to divide by the given relationship and if you are changing from a bigger to a smaller unit then you have to multiply.
5) Now let us see the steps that follow in the conversion from millimeters to inches.
Also read: How Many Ounces in a Cup?
Calculation to convert Inch to Millimeters
Since we know that the relationship between inches and millimeters is
1 inch = 25.4 millimeters
Now if you would multiply the given value in inches by 25.4 factors then you will yield the desired result.
25.4×1= 25.4 millimeters
If you require the result in the inverse order that is from millimeters to inches then you would need to divide the value in millimeters by 25.4.
For example, 50.8 millimeters will be
50.8÷25.4= 2 inches.
Hence the result will be 25.4 millimeters when one inch is converted to millimeters. Or in other words, there are 25.4 millimeters in one inch.
Also read: Convert 1000 ML to Cups
Inches to other units
Inches can also be converted to another unit of measurement. Some examples are given below.
- 1 inch = 2.54 centimetres
- 1 inch = 0.083 feet
- 1 inch = 0.254 decimeters
Definition of millimeters
A millimeter is a subunit of measurement of length. It is a smaller unit of meters and if you are expressing the length of small objects then you make use of millimeters. It is equal to one-thousandth of a meter and equal to 0.03937 inches.
Definition of inches
Inch is another unit of measurement of length and is used widely around the world.
Also read: How Many Inches in a Meter?
Naomi is an educator with 2 decades of experience working with children of all ages. She is a keen observer of the magic and importance of Maths in our daily lives. Follow me on Linkedin