Here we will take the simple example of showing a fraction 12/20 as a percentage. There are mainly two different methods of expressing the fraction value in its percentage form and that is what we are going to learn.
Expressing the value of a fraction in terms of percentage is a very vital process that we are supposed to know in mathematics. The fraction can be converted into any form be it a percentage, decimal, or so on.
What is 12/20 as a percent? The answer is 12/20 as a percentage is 60%
Basic concepts of converting fraction to a percentage
1) As we all know that a fraction is divided into two parts, they are called the numerator and the denominator.
2) The numerator is present above the line of division and the denominators are digits that are present below the line of division.
3) Here, in this case, the numerator is 12 and the denominator is 20.
4) Hence when we are conducting division with fraction, the numerator becomes the dividend and the denominator becomes the divisor which divides the given dividend in the given process.
5) What do you mean by percentage- the process of percentage consists of expressing all the numerical values in terms of hundred. We can also say that during the process of percentage we compare the two values based on 100. In other words, the percentage is defined as the fraction of a hundred.
6) So if we write 45%, we mean 45/100, and if we say 70% we mean 70/100.
Calculation to express 12/20 as a Percentage
There are two different methods for converting the given fraction to a percentage. Here we shall learn about the first one.
First, you need to change the value of the given denominator to 100 which in this case is 20. To do so you have to divide a hundred by 20.
Now with the results that you have obtained in the first step, you need to multiply it with both the numerator 12 and the denominator 20 to adjust the value of the fraction.
Thus, we see the final results as 60% when we convert the value of fraction 12/20 to its percentage form.
12/20 as a percent = 60%
In the second method, we will teach you how to change the value of a fraction to a percentage by first changing it to its decimal form.
At first, you need to divide the numerator by the denominator where the numerator 12 acts as the dividend and 20 as the divisor.
Again now when you have to convert the decimal value to the percentage you simply need to multiply it by 100.
Hence by using both the methods for conversion of the fraction to a percentage, we have seen that the answer is the same and hence both the methods are valid for conducting the conversion of the fraction to a percentage.
The final result, in this case, is 60% for fraction 12/20 conversion.
Also read: What is 3/4 of 3?